Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice

Some of the most memorable conversations of my life have been spent around the dinner table. Maybe it is a Southern thing, but my friends and family always find excuses to gather together: church meetings, baby showers, game nights, date nights, UFC fight nights, movie release nights, family reunions, the list could go on and on. Good food and fellowship go hand in hand.
Taken at the Hodge Lodge on
November 2011

While growing up in a home full of great cooks and food lovers, I was introduced to all sorts of mouth watering dishes that would put most professionals to shame. My momma and sister can "whoop it up" in the kitchen, and my dad was notorious for his grilling and "Shrimp, Oh My Goodness!!!," as we lovingly refer to it. At the age of fourteen or so, my little sister could cut up a whole chicken, and make dressing from scratch. And, don't even get me started on Christmas candy. That may not impress you, but I was very intimidated. With all that talent, there was just no need for me to make any attempts in the kitchen.

After I got married, I vowed to my family and my husband that we would live off of TV dinners and just add water mixes; however, Just a few years ago, cooking became a challenge that I was prepared to face head on. I guess you can call me the late bloomer of the kitchen. At first, I was a little in over my head, but after speaking with several ladies at the church, I was inspired by this statement: "If you can read, you can cook." Simple enough. I had no excuses left! I was in my late 20's, and it was time to be a big girl. So, that began my journey in the kitchen. 

My hope in creating this blog, is to inspire others to think outside the box and to prove that "If you can read, you can cook!" I hope that you will follow me, and possibly even send some of your most treasured recipes my way. I am going to post a step by step on some of my favorite recipes and projects.  Now, if only I can convince my husband to clean up my messes...ha!!


No comments:

Post a Comment