Thursday, November 22, 2012

Road Trip... Fairhope, AL

Several months ago, A friend mentioned that she would like to go to Fairhope, AL for a quick getaway. My first reaction was..."Fairhope?" I had never heard of Fairhope, and wasn't sure if it was a place I really wanted to go. But, the more she talked about this quaint little town, the more excited I became. She mentioned that she wanted to go to the downtown area because it was full of bakeries, restaurants, and boutique shops that were all within walking distance. Ohhhh yes, I'm in!!! She had me at bakeries...I love sweets!!! Plus, I'm a sucker for trips that involve friends, food and fun times.

We mentioned this day of fun to our friends, and of course they were ready for Fairhope too. Most of us are teachers, so we all decided that we would go during our Thanksgiving Break. Saturday, Nov. 17th was the date we all agreed on, and it couldn't have come an sooner. My November calendar was booked with work related activities and various obligations, so I found myself looking forward to this road trip more and more. It's nice to take a break every now and then, and Fairhope was my little light at the end of the tunnel.

Everyone was ready for a day out on the town, but due to various conflicts in schedules, only four of us were able to make the trip. We loaded the Caddy on Saturday, around 8:00 a.m., and headed for Alabama. It's a good thing we weren't on a schedule, because I think I got turned around within the first five minutes. Yes, I am Angie Hodge, and I am directionally challenged... EXTREMELY!! My friends, however, have accepted this flaw, and continue to love me through it. I guess they enjoy the scenic detours...or at least they put on a good face. 

Anyway, after a few wrong turns here and there, I was finally able to see for myself just how special downtown Fairhope was. Boy, this place was as cute as a button. The streets were booming with lots of activity: couples walking hand in hand, families looking for the perfect gift, youngsters window shopping, younger and older generations enjoying time together. Christmas decorations, and beautiful landscaping highlighted the entire downtown area. The stores were preparing for the Downtown Christmas festivities which were to be held the following day. There was also mention of the stores closing at 5 for downtown movie night. I guess Laurel isn't the only town that does type of thing...



Just across from our parking spot was a little cafe placed in the central shopping area. As we made our way to the door, we approached a passer by and asked if she was a local. Her thick New Orleans accent would prove otherwise. We told her that we were visiting and wanted to see what cafe the locals suggested. She mentioned that she comes to Fairhope twice a year, and that she would recommend the R Bistro. She said the menu was similar to the New Orleans cuisine, and the cafe also had delicious desserts. We glanced inside the shop, and knew right away that we had hit the jackpot.


 
There was a plethora of desserts on display that were just waiting to be eaten...did I mention that I like sweets? We were greeted by one of the young waitresses with a sweet smile and southern hospitality..."Can I help you?" While looking over the menu, my eyes kept going back to the crawfish cakes with corn salad. I was very happy with my decision. This was a mouthful of goodness...

 


We couldn't leave without trying a couple of desserts so we ordered two and planned to share the love... Pumpkin and Praline Cheesecake and a WARM slice of Sweet Southern Pecan Pie with a dollop of ice cream.

 


 
 Yes, we enjoyed the shopping experience, the downtown atmosphere, the Christmas decorations that were so tastefully placed, the beautiful flowers that were thriving in the breezy Alabama weather, the jazz music that was heard from store to store, and the food...oh the FOOD.

After a few hours of window shopping and browsing around downtown Fairhope, we made our way back to Mobile. There we dined on some fresh oysters. Hey, don't knock'em till you've tried'em...with hot sauce, saltine crackers, salt and pepper and horseradish! YUMMY stuff. Fried green tomatoes and Shrimp and grits. Although my favorite place for Shrimp and grits is at the Oyster House in Gulf Shores, Felixe's was pretty good stuff.
This was our view from the restaurant in Mobile, AL. It was a great dining experience with a great view, and I am happy to have shared the fun with a great crew. We were able to have a few hours to get away and enjoy ourselves, and that's what it is all about.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment