Tuesday, March 19, 2013

This AIN'T Yo Momma's Chicken Pot Pie...

MY KITCHEN PHILOSOPHY

"Life is to short to spend your time slavin' over the stove while everyone else is "livin' it up." Don't get me wrong, I love having fun in the kitchen, but when it starts to feel like a job, it is time to find a few special "go to" recipes that aren't so time consuming and difficult. Hopefully this will be one of those "go to" dishes, it is as simple as 1, 2, 3...HONESTLY!

Here is how it came about...

I had gone to the grocery store two days prior and picked up a yummy rotisserie chicken. I had already made a great chicken salad recipe from Pinterest the night before, so I wanted something different, something warm. Chicken Pot Pie kept creeping in on me, so I figured, "why not." So, after searching for "the best" chicken pot pie recipe, I decided to make a recipe of my own. Not that the recipes I read looked bad, I just didn't have all of the ingredients, and refused to go back to the grocery store on Spring Break week. I know it's lazy, but that's just how it is. Anyway, I have concocted a little Chicken Pot Pie recipe, but just to warn you, this is not your traditional Chicken Pot Pie....it has a little kick and a twist! Now, for those of you die hard "from scratch" cooks, I am sure you are gonna cringe when you read how I have prepared this but...HEAR ME OUT! This will be a perfect go to recipe, trust me. 

Ingredients:

1. 1 Cooked Original Rotisserie Chicken (purchased hot and ready at Kroger)
2. 1 large can of Cream of Mushroom Soup 
3. 1 can of Original RoTel (drained)
4. 2 cans of Progresso Southwestern Style Soup (drained)
5. 1 cup of Chicken Broth
6. 1 package of Pillsbury Pie Crust (contains 2 crusts)
7. 1.5 cups of crushed Doritos chips
8. Seasoning to taste (salt and pepper)

Chicken Pot Pie from the Hodge's Kitchen. 
Pre-Heat oven to 410*

Step 1: 
Open RoTel and Progresso Soup cans, place the entire contents into a strainer and drain. 

Step 2:
While those ingredients are draining, Go ahead and debone the chicken and shred it into small pieces. Discard skin and bones.

Step 3:
Get pie pan out and spray it with non stick cooking spray (Pam). Open the crust box and roll out 1 of the crusts on to the pie pan or a pan of your choice. Prick the bottom of the pie pan using a fork. Make sure the crust covers the entire bottom of the dish. 

Step 4:
Mix the shredded Chicken and Cream of Mushroom Soup together.  (I like a good ratio of chicken to mushroom soup, so try not to have way more chicken than soup.)

Step 5:
Now we are ready to layer the dish. (I had enough room in my dish to layer this mixture two times.) This is the layer order...1. Doritos, 2. Chicken Mixture, 3. Ro-Tel and Soup Mixture, 4. Chicken Broth, 5. Salt and Pepper...REPEAT. 

Step 6:
Once the dish is full, place the final layer of crust on top of your mixture and seal all of the sides. Pierce a few areas of the top crust with a fork, and place the dish in the oven. Cook for 16 - 18 min. *After that time, place tin foil around the edges of the dish to keep the crust from burning. Place the dish back in to the oven for another 20 - 25 min. 

Enjoy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment